Popover Sundress for Noemie

I just whipped up this little dress for my good friend’s daughter, Noemie.  Her mom is a whiz with Photoshop (and I have yet to read my Photoshop for Dummies book…) and recently helped me clean up some photos I’ve wanted to print and frame for a while but haven’t been able to get that nasty stain off my daughter’s dress in them.  Anyway, to thank her wonderful mother I made her daughter one of these super easy dresses for summer.  Her other daughter is quite the tomboy so a sundress just wouldn’t work for her.  She is exceptionally artistic however, so I’m planning to make her an art tote.  More on that in another post.

First, here’s the dress:

The pattern is from Oliver + S.  If you haven’t checked them out yet, you must.  Adorable patterns.  I’ll confess, this is the only one of theirs I’ve made so far (even though I own a couple more).  They feel just a step beyond my skill level.  But I need to push myself so soon I will take the leap and try another.  And you can be sure I’ll blog about it.

The best part about this pattern is it’s absolutely free!  Yes, you can download the pattern and instructions here.

I tried french seams for the first time on this and I can’t believe how much more professional and clean it makes the dress look.  You can’t see any of the frayed/sewn edges of the seams on the inside.  I’m definitely going to be doing more of these on future dresses.

I added a little white piping which I think also makes it look so much more finished and professional.

Here’s another popover sundress I made for my daughter’s first day of preschool a couple years ago.  Unfortunately you can’t quite make it out but the fabric is Olivia the pig (the picture was taken with a very old camera).  I added red piping on this one.  The dress is pretty roomy and this dress still fits her two years later.

Time to whip out several more of these for summer!  I might even try one in knit fabric.

P.S. – I GOT the bias tape maker for Mothers Day!  I guess my husband reads my blog after all.  I used it for the first time making the straps for this dress and it was relatively easy.  I think I still need some practice with it, though.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in sewing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s